The US Open started on Monday and will run through September 9 at the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center in Flushing, Queens. Those lucky enough to attend the renowned tennis tournament will notice that American Express, a US Open partner for the last 19 years, is serving up several exciting courtside events, as well as giving AmEx cardholders the chance to sync up their accounts with social media partners and save.
Engaging, Fun, and Exciting for All Tennis Fans
Alexander Chang, vice president of sports and entertainment at American Express, says in a company press release, “The US Open is one of sports’ biggest events, and we want to help our cardmembers, and all tennis fans, have a great experience – whether they are watching from home, following along on their mobile devices, or cheering from the stands in Flushing. Our services this year aim to make the viewing experience as engaging, fun and exciting as the action on the courts.”
During the two weeks of the US Open, attendees will have the following opportunities:
- The US Open American Express Fan Experience, located just inside the East Gate of the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center, offers 20,000 square feet of indoor fun for tennis fans, including personalized “swing analysis” and tips on achieving a better swing, a “game center” where fans can play virtual tennis games, player meet-and-greets, and the International Tennis Hall of Fame Exhibit.
- AmEx cardholders can sync their eligible cards with their Twitter, Foursquare, or Facebook accounts to receive a $10 statement credit on any purchase of $20 or more at the US Open. If cardholders make a purchase of at least $150 at the US Open’s exclusive Ralph Lauren store, they will receive a $50 Ralph Lauren gift card. Cardholders should go to Sync.AmericanExpress.com to sign up, or go to the Fan Experience to sync their cards on-site at the US Open.
- A digital concierge, called the Court Curator, is an app that cardholders can use to design their own tournament itinerary from home or at the courts. An interactive map helps visitors find their way and ensure that they don’t miss out on their favorite fan activities and events.
- American Express sponsors USOpen.org Radio, which lets courtside viewers hear commentary and updates from CBS, ESPN, and the Tennis Channel. Jon Wertheim, author of the “Inside Tennis” column at SportsIllustrated.com, calls the American Express sponsorship of USOpen.org Radio “consistently creative, fun and feel completely non-intrusive.” American Express cardholders can get a free radio at the Fan Experience center or any AmEx satellite location on the tournament grounds.
- Fresh Courts is a partnership between American Express and the US Tennis Association that funds developing communities by renovating existing tennis facilities. The partnership has so far refurbished more than 70 courts across the US in communities such as Atlanta, Cincinnati, New Haven, and New York City.
It’s Love-Love for Tennis Fans and American Express
Anyone planning to visit the US Open will want to make sure they bring their American Express card along. While the Fan Experience is open to all ticketholders, only American Express cardholders can have access to the special savings, personal radios, and digital concierge service offered at this year’s US Open.