Discover Card, the inventor of the credit card cash rebate program and the original cash back bonus -giver, has a program that gives cardholders five percent back in rotating categories that change with the seasons. Now that summer is upon us, it’s almost time for the next bonus category – gas and summer fun.
Discover cardholders will save five percent on gas bought at stand-alone gas stations, movies – seen at the theater or rented at a store or online – and theme park admission. While this is a great deal and a way to put a little cash back in your pocket, it’s important to know a few things about how the program works.
The Cash Back Bonus Basics
Make sure you sign up – Even though you’re a Discover cardholder, you won’t be automatically enrolled in their rotating five percent bonus categories. You need to go to their website, log in, and click to sign up. They’ll send you a confirmation email telling you that you’ve successfully enrolled in the program.
- Save the date – Don’t forget when the promotion starts and ends! You’ll want to spend your money in the right places, at the right times.
- Check the category code – The disclaimer on the site (fine print – always watch out for it) says, “If a purchase is coded for a category other than those listed above, it will not qualify,” meaning that if you go to a movie at one of those cinema/restaurant places, it might not count as a movie purchase, and if you buy gas at a supermarket, it won’t count as a gas purchase.
- Maximums do apply – Discover card always caps their five percent rotating category bonuses at $1500 of spending, meaning the most you can get back per promotion is $75. Don’t go wild making purchases, thinking you’ll get hundreds of dollars back. You won’t.
- No discount stores – Warehouses, wholesale distributors, discount clubs; none of them are eligible for cash back bonuses. Costco, Sam’s Club, and the like offer great deals – but you’re not getting anything back on top of the savings you already get there.
Summer Vacation, Summer Savings
How easy is it to earn money back from this Discover promotion? With families all over America planning summer vacations (or staycations), and many of them holding Discover cards (Discover card is the most-commonly-found credit card in American households) let’s do a little study of how that spending can stack up:
A Day at Six Flags
Want to take a trip to Six Flags Great Adventure & Wild Safari with the family this summer? Roller coasters, funnel cake, exotic animals – what’s not to love? The park is located in Jackson, New Jersey, smack in the middle of New York City and Philadelphia. It’s roughly sixty miles from either city. Here’s your estimated cost for the weekend:
- Gas – 120 miles, round trip. If your car gets 25 miles to the gallon and gas is $3.75, that’ll be about five gallons, so $18.75
- Tickets – two general admission tickets and two junior admissions will run you $204 – ouch!
- Concessions and extras at the park – This can really vary, but it’s reasonable to assume you’ll spend at least $100 on food, drinks, games, and souvenirs.
TOTAL Spending: $322.75
TOTAL Discover Cash Back Bonus: $16.14
That’s just in one day – between seeing movies, Netflix subscriptions, cross-country drives, and more trips to theme parks, it’s easy to get the full $75 cash back amount with this Discover promotion.
Hurry – Time-Sensitive Savings!
This deal runs from July 1st through September 30th, so if you don’t have a Discover Card, it’s not too late to sign up for one. If you have a Discover Card already, then sign up today, spend your summer cash during those months, and reap the rewards.