Change is in the air for Citi ThankYou Premier cardholders. They now earn triple points for every dollar spent on all kinds of travel, whether they are planning a big getaway or a short road trip.
While airfare, hotel stays and car rentals are included, they can also earn triple points on gas, tolls, subway fares and taxi rides. Cardholders can also earn double points on dining out and entertainment, and all other purchases get them one point per dollar.
“ThankYou Premier redefines travel by rewarding our cardmembers for virtually any way they are getting to their destination – by bike, bus, train, car or plane,” said Chris Fred, Head of Proprietary Products, Citi Cards North America.
“We know our cardmembers love to travel and see how their everyday travel spending can turn into meaningful rewards. Whether going to work, driving their kids to a soccer game, or escaping on a getaway, each purchase rewards them with ThankYou Points so they can more quickly get to their next vacation,” he added.
Getting your points and then some
When cardholders use their points to book travel through the ThankYou Travel Center, their points are worth 25% more. In this case 30,000 ThankYou Points translates into $375 that can be used toward booking a flight on any airline, without having to deal with blackout dates. If people used those points to get a gift card it would be worth just $300.
Points can also be transferred to 13 travel loyalty programs. They can also be used for other kinds of rewards, including merchandise, concert tickets and other items. People can also request that their points be converted into a credit, which can then be used to pay charges on their account, or to make online bill payments if they have a Citibank checking account.
Travel bennies on Citi
- No foreign transaction fees on international purchases
- Any rental car in any country is covered by rental insurance on damage or theft for up to $100,000
- Trip cancellation and interruption protection –non-refundable expenses are covered up to $5,000
- Trip Delay Protection –applies to delays of 12 hours or more and covers $500 per trip.
- Lost baggage coverage–covered for up to $3,000 per bag per trip or $2,000 for New York residents.
- Baggage delay coverage–Bags are covered when held up for 6 hours or more, which includes compensation for necessary items up to $100.
- Roadside assistance in U.S.
Each card is outfitted with EMV chips to enhance security.