Experiences are one of the top driving forces when it comes to why millennial’s travel according to a new study by Contiki, a global tour operator, with 71% of U.S. millennials and post-millennials, indicating that they value experiences above most things.
When it came to their travel bucket list, the top 20 picks were not about a particular destination, they were all about the experiences that could be had at those locales, whether that meant soaking in Iceland’s Blue Lagoon or trekking along the Great Wall of China.
The study looked at what the key motivators are for young people. What did they find? Over half are motivated to travel because they want to experience the natural beauty that goes hand in hand with some locals and/or learn about other cultures.
In keeping with that trend the top driving forces for travel decision making included the need to experience authentic social experiences (75%), closely followed by cultural experiences (61%), and last but not least, culinary experiences (61%).
Top 20 destinations for millennials
When it came to experiences slated for 2017 soaking in Iceland’s Blue Lagoon took the top slot, while checking out the Great Pyramids of Giza and hoofing it along the Great Wall of China came in right behind. What other experiences make the top 20 for people aged 18-35 for 2017?
Here they are:
1. Soaking in Iceland’s Blue Lagoon
2. Checking out the Great Pyramids of Giza
3. Trekking along the Great Wall of China
4. Getting some R&R on the beach in Byron Bay, Australia
5. Going to Italy and learn how to make pizza
6. Road trip down route 66
7. Riding a gondola through the canals of Venice
8. Sharing a kiss at the top of the Eiffel Tower in Paris
9. Go to Costa Rica to check out turtles laying their eggs
10. Picnic in the French countryside
11. Party in Las Vegas
12. Head out to Yosemite National Park
13. Check out Ayers Rock in Australia to see the sun rise
14. Visiting the Great Barrier Reef in Australia and go snorkeling
15. Visiting the Louvre in Paris to see the Mona Lisa
16. Tasting the gelato in Rome
17. Taking a helicopter to explore the Grand Canyon
18. Head to Queensland to cuddle a koala
19. Ziplining in the Costa Rican rain forest
20. Biking through Amsterdam
Contiki polled more than 5,000 people falling in the 18 to 35 year age range around the globe to find out what motivates them to travel.