With the market keeping so volatile, banks are maintaining very strict rules and regulations when granting credit cards to unknown customers. College students with no credit history or financial background find it very difficult to obtain a credit card. However, there are options that will help in obtaining approval for student credit cards.
A bank hesitates to grant credit card facilities to students, as there remains no tested record of their financial worthiness. Therefore the first step that a student can take towards getting an approval for credit card is to find ways to establish a credit history. The options available for doing so are as follows:
1. A student after getting enrolled for a college course can start to look for a part time job for a steady monthly income. This will help in establishing the fact that the student does have credit worthiness and is capable of paying his monthly credit bills. Once the student is able to establish his credit worthiness he is sure to get a credit card that will further help him in availing other type of loans.
2. Another option available for students is to get a telephone plan in his personal name. Since the monthly payments are low, maintaining a telephone plan will not be a very big problem for the student. This will show in the credit report prepared by the credit agencies. This will establish the student’s credit history and make it easier to avail a credit card with the telephone plan documents.
3. Some college programs offer part time jobs to their enrolled students who are in need of financial help. This also appears to be a good option for the enrolled students to get their credit history established.
4. The best thing that a student can do in order to get himself a credit history is to get a credit card or instant approval that would require him to keep collaterals against a credit card. This would make the bank sure of the student’s repayment and will at least have a security with them to make up the losses in case the student fails to repay the credit.
5. Finally, the student can bring a co-signer with him to avail an approval for student credit card. The co-signer should have a credit history and banks like it when it is one of the family members who co-signs the repayment deal with the student. Similarly many parents also allow their children to have a joint account opened with them. This gives credential to the student’s identity and helps him to establish his credit history.