Thanks to JPMorgan Chase`s new Disney Premier Visa credit card, the happiest place on earth just got a little happier – that is, if you often visit the Magic Kingdom with little princesses and princes in tow, clamoring for photo ops with their favorite characters and asking for another Mickey hat, another Ariel doll, and more Cinderella paraphernalia than you can shake a magic wand at.
Is it worth getting this card for a one-time trip, or do the rewards it offers make it a good card for people who aren`t planning a Disney trip? Let`s do a little Credit-Land.com investigation.
- The card comes with a $49 annual fee, which is cancelled out for the first two years by the $100 statement credit you`ll earn just by using your card for the first time. After that, you`ll still get socked with the fee, so make sure your rewards cover the cost.
- The Disney card is a cash back card, offering 2% cash back on purchases made at restaurants, gas stations, grocery stores, and at Disney locations. These 2% cash back categories don`t rotate seasonally like they do with many cards, which is nice for people who drop a lot of dough on gas, groceries, restaurants and Disney – in other words, most parents of small children. All other purchases earn 1% cash back.
- When you spend $50 or more at a Disney store (brick and mortar or online and disneystore.com) you`ll get 10% off, taking the edge off some of those Disney princess dolls your kids beg for incessantly, even when you aren`t vacationing at the Kingdom itself.
- There`s a 0% introductory APR for six months when you buy a vacation package from Disney, so if your family is planning a big trip, that alone may make the card worthwhile for you – if you pay it off within the allotted six months, of course. After that, the APR jumps to 14.24%. Disney vacation packages range from about $100 up to $10,000, so everyone from street-rat Aladdin to Princess Jasmine can find something to suit their budget.
- Once you`ve set foot in the Magic Kingdom, you`ll find the best rewards, including an exclusive opportunity for your child to mingle with favorite Disney characters and receive a free 5 x 7” photo, chances to redeem your cash back for rewards like tickets to shows, and purchases at Disney hotels and restaurants.
All in all, if you`re a parent or grandparent who`s going to shell out for Disney loot anyway, and especially if you`re already plotting your trip to any of the Disney theme parks, you may save a bundle with the Disney Premier Visa card. Think about your spending habits – even if you don`t have kids of your own, are you a doting aunt or uncle who wants to shower the kids in your family with gifts from Disney stores?
If not, then the annual fee may not make sense. This card is best for those who love Disney and plan to spend money there anyway. So if you believe in fairies, close your eyes, clap your hands, and apply for the Disney Premier Visa credit card. Tinkerbelle will thank you, and so might your wallet.