ADVERTISING DISCLOSURE: is an independent, advertising-supported web site. receives compensation from most credit card issuers whose offers appear on our site. Compensation from our advertising partners impacts how and where their products appear on our site, including, for example, the order in which they may appear within review lists. has not reviewed all available credit card offers in the marketplace.

Credit Card Applications » News » Other » Losing Credit Rewards

Losing Credit Rewards

May 29, 2008 | Updated on May 29, 2008
Add to Favorites:
The content is accurate at the time of publication and is subject to change.

New Bill Warns: Watch out for Your Credit Card Rewards!

As the credit card industry's new regulations are coming into force, customers begin to feel their effects little-by-little. And while the positive changes, such as the elimination of unfair penalty fees, hidden charges and "any time, any reason" hike of the interest rates are yet to come, some unfavorable aspects are already threatening the wellbeing of cardholders.

What shoals come with the new credit card laws and do the laws really care about credit consumers? Are their disadvantages meaningful enough to take the back track? Well, if you are a rewards-oriented cardholder, one of the latest bills is certainly out of your line.

One of the bills introduced this spring threatens cardholders' most valuable virtue - credit card rewards. The bill proposes to cap the fees that merchants pay to card companies, such as Visa and MasterCard, to process credit card payments.

At first sight, it is unclear how this regulation might affect cardholders, especially as they are already paying extra which is included into the item price and meant to cover merchants' fees. But in fact, only part of this extra goes to cover the merchant's processing fee - the other part is intended to make up for rewards.

Now, follow the thought. If the merchant fees are capped, the price of the purchase might easily fall. But on the other hand, if the fees are capped, card issuing companies will lose a source of paying for rewards programs. The result is evident and it is reducing rewards offers.

The new regulation will be especially painful for customers who regularly take advantage of point rewards, airline miles, cash back and discounts. A 2006 survey by Harris Interactive, an American market research firm that specializes in public opinion research, shows that these strapped for rewards customers make up about 60% of all cardholders entitled to rewards. The other 40% hardly ever redeem their rewards.

Now that the bill threatens to bereave the privilege of earning rewards itself, these 40% are growing uneasy, realizing what great opportunities they are going to lose. However, while the new legislation has not been accepted yet, you may resort to some credit card smarts which will help you benefit from card use.

  • Make list of retailers that offer discounts if you pay for goods with your credit card. Online purchases at such renowned retailers as and which work with Visa open up lots of saving opportunities through their discounts programs.
  • Such categories of retailers as travel, gas, medicine and movies allow customers to shop and earn up to 5% cash back depending on what card company they team up with.
  • Use the tools that offer the automation of rewards redemption. Automatic rewards would be of use to cardholders that forget to redeem their points or to credit their cash back earnings to their accounts. Thanks to the automation, rewards are paid out to you on a set schedule which is determined by the card company or yourself.

Hurry to make use of these tips and you will squeeze out all the benefits related to reward programs that your credit company has still on offer.

Disclaimer: This editorial content is not provided or commissioned by the credit card issuer(s). Opinions expressed here are the author's alone, not those of the credit card issuer(s), and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the credit card issuer(s). Reasonable efforts are made to present accurate information, however all information is presented without warranty. Consult a card's issuing bank for the terms & conditions.
All rates and fees, and other terms and conditions of the products mentioned in this article/post are actual as of the last update date but are subject to change. See the current products' Terms & Conditions on the issuing banks' websites.
Add to Favorites:
Get the latest news, articles and expert advice delivered to your inbox. It's FREE.
You've successfully subscribed!

Please specify the following:All these fields are optional

Your Credit History
Themes you are interested in:

By providing this information you help us make our news letters more useful and informative. Thank you!