Credit Card News

Advertising Disclosure is an independent, advertising-supported web site. receives compensation from many credit card issuers whose offers appear on our site. Compensation from our advertising partners impacts how and where their products appear on our site, including, for example, the order in which they may appear within review lists. has not reviewed all available credit card offers in the marketplace.

Credit Card Applications » News » Other » Financial Savvy Trumps Looks

Financial Savvy Trumps Looks

Add to Favorites:
Financial Savvy Trumps Looks

Love may change everything, but according to a new Citi study, so does money. The survey looked at how couples in committed relationships dealt with money and finances and found that for most people (82%) it changed their financial habits for the better.

Financial savvy is more important than looks, according to the report, with 78% of respondents saying that they would rather have a partner who is financially fit than attractive. But money is a complicated issue. Some couples aren’t talking enough about their finances and at least a quarter have a secret stash of money, all of which may actually cause problems down the line.

For the love of money

Being in a relationship can be good for your financial health and promote better habits. Sixty percent of respondents said they think twice when it comes to discretionary spending. Also, half are now more focused on planning for their financial future. Setting goals and strategies has become a part of their lives too, including having an emergency fund (39%), setting a monthly saving goal (24%), and setting budgets for gift giving (24%).

Sharing is caring when it comes to money, with 82% of respondents indicating that they share their financial information, which may include debts, personal spending, salary, and their credit report, with their partner. Most respondents (88%) have access to at least one of their significant other’s accounts. Yet one-quarter of folks surveyed said they would never share certain kinds of information with their partner, including their account balance, how much they spend each month and their PIN.

Rx for some couples: Talk more

One out of four want their partner to talk more about their finances, but doing that can mean taking a risk some aren’t willing to take, with 69% indicating that in the past they’ve avoided talking about money to keep from having an argument.

While many will set aside time to have a conversation about their finances, more than a third (38%) haven’t in the past year. The other 62% are on it, sitting down together for financial check-ins at least eight times over the last year.

Having a secret stash is also in style, with one in four people, admitting to having a private account they keep from their partner. They may feel more secure, but it may not be good for their relationship. The research shows that more than half of those hiding cash have had a financially-motivated fight with their partner over the past year.

The Citi Double Cash “It Takes Two” survey was conducted in December/January via an online survey of 1,000 adults in the U.S who are in a committed relationship.

Add to Favorites:

Related News:

Commerce Bank Launches Toggle
Commerce Bank Launches Toggle

By Dar Dowling, Posted: January 20, 2015

People can link two checking accounts from any bank to their Commerce Bank credit card to get their customized payment plan started. Options are provided on how to pay for everything from groceries and gas to a new computer or even a ... Continue reading
Free FICO Scores for Commerce Bank Customers
Free FICO Scores for Commerce Bank Customers

By Elizabeth Nelson, Posted: May 21, 2015

Folks who bank with Commerce Bank now have an easy way to keep tabs on their credit ratings. FICO, a leading provider of credit scores, has partnered with the bank to offer free FICO scores to customers on their monthly statements. Continue reading
Getting Holiday Shopping in Under the Wire
Getting Holiday Shopping in Under the Wire

By Dar Dowling, Posted: December 21, 2015

If you're not done with your holiday shopping and think you might just get it in under the wire, you're not alone. Continue reading
Get the latest news, articles and expert advice delivered to your inbox. It's FREE.
Unlimited 1.5x rewards on every purchase, every day. For every $1 you spend, you earn 1.5x Miles.
For Excellent, Good Credit
Get a dollar-for-dollar match of all the cash back you’ve earned at the end of your first year, automatically.
For Excellent, Good Credit
Guaranteed $500 Unsecured Credit Limit
For Bad Credit