MasterCard Inc., is an international American organization whose principal business is processing payments between banks and the users of MasterCard. The “Inter bank card” formed by a group of California banks got renamed as “MasterCard” in the year 1979. This source of cash less transaction of money, has since then gain popularity worldwide.
The Visa cards on the other hand were founded in 1970 and have its headquarters at California. The card company has its origin from “Bank of America”.
Difference between MasterCard and Visa cards
Both MasterCard credit cards and Visa cards offers a means of cashless transaction of money. Neither of these credit card companies issue credit cards directly to individuals. While banks issue the credit cards, Visa or MasterCard are the preferred mode of payment. Although basic functionalities remain the same in both the cards, there are some minute differences that can be found in both.
- MasterCard came in to being in the year 1966 while Visa cards were founded in the year 1970. Although not a very important difference, customers prefer MasterCard more because of their earlier establishment in the market.
- The head quarter of MasterCard is in New York while that of Visa card is in California.
Use of the MasterCard and Visa cards has revolutionized the business of money transaction. Handling money has not become less painful but also quick and secured. The other similarities between the two cards are as follows –
- Both cards have worldwide acceptance. – The cards are preferred by travellers for this.
- Both have a firm market reading. – The NSE readings for both the cards are almost same.
- Both cards facilitate cash less transactions.
- Transactions are secured. Personal information is not revealed.
- Easy to carry. They are lightweight plastic money.
- They are protected from theft and tamper. The money remains secured.
- Service centres for both the companies are accessible all day and help is always available.
- Most banks accept the cards for money withdrawal.
- Sustainability of both the cards remains the same.
- Neither cards are issued directly to the customers .