Credit cards have many advantages that can be used to the benefit of the consumers only if they are used properly. The first step in the proper use of the credit cards is to secure and protect the credit card information to prevent any kind of fraud. While use of credit cards is very helpful in making cashless transactions, the information can get leaked and the same cards can cause financial loss.
The security and protection of credit card information can be dealt with by putting in checks to ensure a system that would avert any kind of credit card fraud.
- At this level, a very sophisticated encryption technology safeguards the credit card information. This technology is called SSL or secured socket layer technology. The card number, pin number and other information as seen on the card are based on this technology.
- All information regarding the transactions made through the card gets stored. This is done through internet protocol followed by all credit card companies. This helps in tracking the last user in case of a fraud.
- It is, but a common protocol, that all customer service personnel are barred from using their mobiles and other personal belongings when entering their work station. This is done to prevent any personnel from getting hold of the card information and using them.
- The personnel are also barred from making any kind of purchase when assisting a customer.
- A strict vigilance is kept on their conduct.
- The note pads used when attending calls of card holders are shredded every day to prevent any leak of information.
- To check any kind of fraud or discrepancy regarding the name of the cardholder and the signature put on the card, a third party verification process is done. This is a normal protocol where the card holder is requested to submit their card details and signature in a verified format. This process ensures that the card holder is aware of the transactions made on his card.
- To verify the validity of the transaction, cross checks and calls are made to the card holder as well as the issuing bank.
The credit card is verified by Visa and Master card secure code. This adds up a separate password for the card which only the user can use on line.
Besides the above technicalities the responsibility for the security and protection of the credit card also lies on the user. There are certain steps that the user too must take and they are as follows:
- Do not reveal the pin code of the card to strangers.
- Personal information should not be revealed.
- Cards should be used for online shopping only on recognised sites.
- Before using the card for online shopping, the card should be verified by Visa or MasterCard.