The content is accurate at the time of publication and is subject to change.
This content is not provided by Citi. Any opinions, analyses, reviews or recommendations expressed here are those of the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the Citi.
The October issue of Money Magazine has once again named their picks for the best credit cards of 2015-2016, and cards from Citi, a Credit-Land.com advertising partner, Discover, and Barclays have taken top honors in the cash back, shopping, and travel categories.
Fourteen cards were deemed best-in-class, in categories like best cash back card, best frequent flyer card, best hotel rewards card, best card for carrying a balance, best card for students, and best business credit cards. They considered factors like introductory and ongoing interest rates, sign-up bonuses, fees, and reward offerings.
Here's the rundown on Money's choices, along with key features of each:
- Citi® Double Cash Card – 18 month BT offer - best cash back card, with great balance transfer offer, no annual fee, and 2% cash back on all purchases: 1% when you buy and 1% as you make payments for those purchases.
- Discover it® Cash Back - best online shopping card, with 0% introductory APR on purchases and balance transfers for 14 months (after that the ongoing APR of 13.49% - 24.49% Variable will apply), no annual fee, and 5% cash back in certain categories that change each quarter (up to the quarterly maximum each time you activate).
- American Express Blue Cash Preferred - best for maximizing cash back, with 0% APR on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months, a $75 annual fee, and 6% cash back on up to $6,000 in grocery store purchases.
- Starwood Preferred Guest - best hotel rewards card, with an annual fee of $95 and a sign-up bonus of 25,000 points after spending $3,000 in the first 90 days.
- Northwest FCU FirstCard - best student card, with no annual fee, an ongoing APR of 10%, and a fixed credit limit of $1,000 designed to keep students from getting too deep into debt.
- Discover it® Student chrome - best student cash back card, with no annual fee, a 0% intro APR on purchases for the first 6 months (after that the ongoing APR of 14.49% - 23.49% Variable will apply), and 2% cash back on up to $1,000 spent in combined purchases at gas stations and restaurants each quarter.
- Digital Credit Union Visa Platinum - best card for carrying a balance, with an APR starting at 8.5% and no balance transfer fee.
- Chase Slate - best for balance transfers, with 0% on transfers for the first 15 months and no fee for transfers in the first two months.
- Citi Simplicity® Card - No Late Fees Ever - best card for big purchases, with a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months (when the introductory interest rate is over, the ongoing APR of 16.24% - 26.24% (Variable) will apply) and no annual fee.
- Capital One® Spark® Cash Select for Business - best card for small businesses, with no annual fee and 1.5% cash back on all purchases.
- U.S. Bank Business Edge Platinum - deemed the best card for businesses borrowing money, this card offers 0% on purchases and balance transfers for a year, and has no annual fee.