The content is accurate at the time of publication and is subject to change.
Discover it® Miles
- UNLIMITED BONUS: Only Discover gives you an unlimited match of all the Miles you’ve earned at the end of your first year. For example, if you earn 35,000 Miles, you get 70,000 Miles. There’s no signing up, no minimum spending or maximum rewards. Just a Miles-for-Miles match.
- Automatically earn unlimited 1.5x Miles on every dollar of every purchase - with no annual fee.
- Redeem Miles to pay any part of your monthly bill, including your minimum payment.
Can you think of a credit card that would be beneficial as to frequent flyers, as to those who travel only occasionally? The Discover it® Miles fits this description perfectly. It allows you to earn miles rewards on everyday purchases and use earned miles towards travel - for the things you want and the way you prefer - or simply redeem miles for cash. Here are the reasons to love this card and why it can become your primary credit card.
Reason 1: Discover Match®
The Discover it® Miles card's welcome bonus offer is unique: only Discover gives you an unlimited match of all the miles you've earned at the end of your first year (provided you are a new cardmember). You don't need to spend a certain amount of money within the allotted time, as it is required for many other sign-up bonuses. The Discover Match benefit makes it simpler: you simply shop as you always do, earn rewards per dollar spent, and then get all the miles matched at the end of the first year.
For example, you spend around $1,950 per month, the rewards rate is 1.5x Miles per dollar, your earnings for the first year will be around 35,000 miles. With the Discover Match, you will get extra 35,000 miles, which totals to 70,000 miles for the first year! That's essentially 3 miles back for the first year. A good reason to maximize the card use during the first year.
Reason 2: More Than Airline Miles
The Discover it® Miles card allows you to earn 1.5 miles per dollar spent on all purchases. No changing categories, no category rewards, and no sign-ups - you will simply earn fixed 1.5x miles for any purchase you make with the card. You can earn as many miles as you can or wish and at your own pace - there is NO limit to the number of miles you can earn and miles NEVER expire.
The rewards you earn with the card are called "Miles", but that does not mean you will earn frequent flyer miles and will be able to transfer them to different loyalty programs. This card offers more. The Discover it® Miles is essentially a cash back credit card and the 1.5x miles are basically 1.5% cash back. That means it will be much easier to redeem earned miles. You won't be tied to one or two particular airlines, miles can be redeemed as statement credits towards recent travel purchases, any travel purchases. Or you can redeem miles to pay any part of your monthly bill, including your minimum payment.
Reason 3: 0% Intro APR
Unlike airline credit cards that tend to have no promotional interest, the Discover it® Miles credit card gives 15 months of 0% Intro APR on purchases. When the zero introductory period is over, a 16.49% - 27.49% Variable APR applies. Those 15 months of no interest on purchases are extremely handy as the card has the bonus offer. Paired together, Discover Match and 0% Intro APR on purchases will allow you to put maximum purchases on the card and as a result earn more rewards in the first year. Just make sure you pay off the card balance by the end of the introductory period or interest will eat up all rewards you've earned.
Reason 4: No Annual Fee
Many rewards credit cards, especially travel credit cards, come with high annual fees. That's because they usually have some travel specific perks like priority boarding, free checked bag, or other perks. Those travel perks make a credit card more expensive, but the Discover it® Miles is different. The card has no annual fee. So, if you want a travel credit card but do not want to overpay for extra perks you won't use, consider this credit card first. Those who do not spend a lot on their credit cards, will also find the no annual fee benefit handy.
Reason 5: Easy to Redeem Miles
Good rewards are nothing if you cannot use them for what you want, when you want, and in the amount you want. The Discover it® Miles card is one of those rare credit cards that will allow you to redeem miles without limits, caps or thresholds. There are several ways to redeem Discover Miles:
- For a credit for travel purchases: an easy and convenient way to redeem miles for travel purchases made within the last 180 days. Simply choose a travel purchase in your Discover online account and apply miles to it. Travel purchases include airline tickets, hotel rooms, car rentals, travel agents, online travel sites, commuter transportation, and even restaurants and gas stations.
- As a credit to your account: when you do not want to redeem for travel purchases just yet, you can pay for all or part of your bill with miles.
- For cash as an electronic deposit to your bank account: this option is great for situations when you want to redeem your miles for something other than travel, like utility bills, or simply want to receive cash.
- To pay with miles at Amazon.com checkout and when you pay using PayPal: it's a great option for those who often shop at Amazon.com or use PayPal as a payment method. You can use miles instantly at Amazon.com checkout, or opt to pay with miles at millions of online stores that accept PayPal. Just make sure your card is linked to either of the accounts.
Any way you choose to redeem your miles, the redemption ratio is always the same: 1 Mile = 1 cent. Thus, if you've earned 70,000 miles, you can redeem them for $700 towards travel purchases or cash.
Another good thing about redeeming Discover Miles is that there is no redemption minimum, and you can start redeeming your miles as soon as you have 1 mile earned. Many other issuers allow you to redeem miles only when you reach a specific threshold like 5,000 or 10,000 miles earned or more. With the Discover it® Miles card, you can redeem starting at 1 mile.
Discover it® Miles
- 0% Intro APR (15 months)
- 16.49% - 27.49% Variable APR