Here are some tips that will help you maximize credit card rewards:
- Never pay an annual fee. This rule is extremely important for those who do not put a lot on a credit card. An annual fee may eat all or part of your rewards. If you choose a credit card with an annual fee, make sure rewards will at least be able to cover it.
- Never carry a balance. If you carry some balance, it will accrue interest, and there is no such a rewards program that is able to cover interest payments.
- Earn bonus offers. It can be a sign-up bonus, annual or renewal bonus, or a credit card spend bonus. Whichever bonus is given, grab it!
- Enroll in categories. If you chose a credit card with changing categories, chances are you will need to enroll each time a category changes. Don’t miss the enrolment date!
- Shop online. Most credit card issuers have portals or online malls where you can earn additional rewards. Register at such a portal and start earning more.
- Refer a friend. Not many but still there are issuers that will give you rewards or some credits if you bring your friend who will get approved for a credit card. Such offers may not be advertised openly, so it is worth making a search.