The content is accurate at the time of publication and is subject to change.

Absolutely! If for some reason you have a negative balance on a credit card and you do not want to leave it alone, you can get the money you overpaid back. To do that, you need to contact your credit card issuer to confirm you have a negative balance and ask for a refund.

When you request a refund, your credit card issuer must send you a refund within one or two weeks of getting your request. The overpayment can be sent via check or direct deposit. It usually makes sense requesting a refund with a large negative balance, though having a large negative balance is not required to request a refund.