- Know your credit score This is crucial for a start, as it lets you determine which credit cards you are eligible for. Most travel credit cards require good and excellent credit. If you don't know what your credit score is, check it. Most issuers use the FICO scoring model. In general, scores fall along the following lines:
- 350-639: Bad credit
- 640-699: Fair credit, also called “average credit”
- 700-749: Good credit
- 750 and up: Excellent credit
- Sign-up bonus. Travel rewards credit cards often come with sign-up bonuses. You need to spend certain amount of money in a given period of time to qualify for such a bonus. For example, the Barclaycard Arrival Plus® World Elite Mastercard® credit card offers 70,000 bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 90 days — that's enough to redeem for a $700 in airfare on any airline when miles are redeemed as travel statement credits. If you’re not sure you’ll be able to meet the minimum spending requirement, consider offers with lower minimum spending to reach the bonus.
- No foreign transaction fees. If you are planning to travel abroad, choose a travel credit card with no foreign transaction fees.
- No annual fees. Airline co-branded cards often come with high annual fees for the benefits they offer. Don’t overpay if you are not going to use them and choose a card with no annual fee.
How to apply for frequent flyer cardToday most of the credit card offers are available for online application, which makes it much easier to apply for a credit card. You just need a computer or a smartphone connected to the Internet and, your personal information and you can easily apply online. Once you’ve found a credit card at CreditLand, click on the “apply” button, which you will find near the credit card, to get to the bank’s secure application page. You can review credit card benefits, rates and fees, as well as read the card’s Terms and Conditions on the bank’s secure application page. If you agree, start filling out the application form (or click on the “apply” button again if it is required). Fill out all required fields, which include your full name, date of birth, street address (no P.O. boxes accepted!), email address, phone number, employment, income, rent or mortgage payments, SSN.
If you still have doubts, use our credit card navigator, that will find a perfect credit card for you. After you get a card the most important task for you is to make responsible credit moves with it - pay off the balance on time, never max out a credit card or carry a balance and generally care about your credit history. In such and only such case will the credit card work for you.