The content is accurate at the time of publication and is subject to change.
There is absolutely no doubt that Credit Cards have made our lives simpler and it’s become quite easy to shop anything, anywhere, anytime just by swiping a card. However, this card as simple it’s in usage and function, it can be as dreadful if certain norms aren’t followed. Owing to the reconnaissance of the internet in modern countries almost every company and every major brand has their own e-commerce options on the web for online transactions.
Even when companies are trying hard to tighten online security, it finally depends on the consumer to avoid any fraudulent activity. Just a couple of tips if applied in day-to-day transactions can keep all risks at bay. Following are some steps to enjoy safe internet transactions:
1. The first and foremost principle is to ensure the banking or checkout website is legitimate. This can be done by confirming the spellings of the domain name (for example: www.amazonn.com is an incorrect entry for the actual www.amazon.com website). Also maintain a list of e-commerce sites or e-stores where you shop at and it’s always a best policy to reconfirm the names by running a Google search.
2. Share only necessary information while making online purchases; i.e. for purchases which does not require your street name and zip code, it’s sensible to hide such pieces of information. Never hand over the financial details to an outsider or respond to unknown e-mails or web links which usually leads to phishing.
3. A secure payment gateway always has an 'https' prefix in lieu of ‘http’ (for example: https://xyz.com) and different web browsers have their standard designs for placing a lock or lock box to confirm website security. This is done to confirm encryption which prevents unauthorized access and scrambling of private information.
4. Always avoid sharing your personal information like the Social Security Number, Credit Card Numbers, banking passwords, PINs and similar personal information. Use your personal computer only and never a local Cyber Cafe to make online payments or even the simplest routine net banking.
5. Avoid using pirated security software and usage of registered anti-virus software guarantees more than ninety percent security on your computer.
6. Finally, make sure you logout of the website after the online purchases to protect your financial information.
In this ultramodern society, where digital money transfer has become a commonplace, even thefts and frauds have attained the next degree. Therefore it would be only smarter to bear it in mind for a safe and successful online shopping experience.