Cards offered by airlines sometimes offer features specific to the airline, which may be good for frequent travelers. However, they are limited in use, and especially if your air trips don't come down to Delta flights only, such card is more a pain, than a gain. Besides, those specific features are useless by and large, few people really know about them, let alone use regularly.
As a good alternative, you can apply for a miles rewards credit card offered by a major bank (American Express, Citi, Discover, etc.). There are travel credit cards that will allow you to earn two miles on all your purchases, which is not offered by the Delta card. Also travel rewards credit cards are cheaper as they do not have benefits you might not need. Travel rewards credit cards will allow you to earn miles everywhere and redeem earned miles with any airline of your choice, including with Delta. The Discover it® Miles card is a good example of a travel rewards credit card.
The perks that Discover offers are the following:
- 1.5 miles on all purchases;
- Discover matches all the miles you've earned at the end of the first year. For example, if you've earned 30,000 miles, you'll get 60,000 miles (for new cardmembers);
- the miles you've earned never expire;
- there's no annual fee, ever;
- there's a 0% intro APR period of 14 months on purchases, which rivals most of the premium cards (note that when the introductory interest rate is over, the ongoing APR of 14.24% - 25.24% Variable will apply);
- there's no foreign transactions fee.
All of this makes Discover it® Miles unparalleled, as there is no other card that offers such a combination of no annual fee, decent bonuses and a good rewards bonus. It's cheap and profitable at once.